THE CELEBRATION CONTINUES
Join the Friends of Mount Rogers and the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area of the United States Forest Service in celebrating the 50th anniversary of this premier outdoor attraction. Make this web site your source of information about the celebration and events connected with this anniversary. The actual anniversary date was May 31, 2016 and the events that took place that week were a great success. Additional events are planned for the rest of 2016 to continue the celebration of the anniversary.
- Need to RSVP or ask a question?? We have a special email address for both. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (You can also phone M-F 800-628-7202 or 276-783-5196.)
- Visit the VIDEOS page to see a promotional video for the 50th Anniversary.
- Check out the new “50 Things To Do In The Mount Rogers National Recreation Area.” Details on the Events page.
An overview of some of the activities planned. See the EVENTS PAGE for details.
- July 24, 2 PM – Mushroom Walk
- August 9, 1 – 2PM – Smokey Bear Birthday Party
- August 19 – 21 – Mount Rogers Summer Naturalist Rally
- September 17, 10AM – 2PM – Public Lands Day Celebration
Dear Friends of Mount Rogers National Recreation Area:
I am really excited about the 50th anniversary of the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in 2016! We will be celebrating all year, but especially during the week surrounding May 31, which was the actual date that President Lyndon Johnson signed the Act creating this National Recreation Area back in 1966. Please join with the Forest Service, the Friends of Mount Rogers, and many other partners, volunteers, neighbors, and visitors, to experience the array of programs, outings, and fun events we are planning to mark this anniversary!
Those who are repeat visitors to the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area already know and treasure the beauty of these southwest Virginia mountains. If you have not visited, please feel welcome to come and explore hundreds of miles of trails including the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, the Virginia Creeper Trail – a premier biking trail, the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail, wilderness areas for solitude, developed and primitive campgrounds, breath-taking mountain overlooks, waterfalls, trout streams, and fine dining, theater, mountain music and arts in the surrounding towns and communities.
Thanks to the Friends of Mount Rogers for partnering with us in this celebration of fifty years. You can check this web site to learn more about the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area and the activities scheduled for our fiftieth anniversary. We hope to see you soon!